I recently bumped into a problem when moving my development ArcSDE Geodatabase to another machine. The ArcSDE Geodatabase is running on MS SQL Standard* and is using schema’s to store data for different projects.
After restoring the database on the new machine and trying to access it in ArcCatalog I got the following error message:
DBMS table not found [*********][STATE_ID=0]
This lead me to ArcGIS bug report NIM059178 / Article ID: 38048.
Which has a patch attached, but this patch only solved the connectivity within ArcCatalog and didn’t solve the problem when accessing the ArcSDE from my Python scripts (through the ArcGIS REST Services).
I also took the opportunity to install ArcSDE Service Pack 2, but this SP isn’t necessary to solve this specific issue.
All the different ArcGIS packages (Desktop, Services, etc) have a copy of SP1 and SP2 available and as always, it’s wise to update. You can use Patch Finder to check which version you are currently running – available at the bottom of this link.
I hope this post is helpful for somebody that is encountering the same issue..
*) You need MS SQL Standard or better to use Schemas with ArcSDE Geodatabase. MS SQL Express doesn’t support this with ArcSDE.